If you have recently noticed that a guy tends to stare deeply into your eyes then you’re probably wondering why he does it.
This post will help you figure that out and it will help you to make sense of it when a guy does it in the future.
So, what does it mean when a guy stares deep into your eyes? Possible causes of a guy staring deeply into your eyes are that he is attracted to you, being dominant, annoyed with you, mirroring your own body language or that he does it naturally.
Since there are a number of reasons why a guy might stare deeply into your eyes it is important to consider the other body language signals that he showed when doing it.
By doing so you’ll be able to get a better understanding of the motivations that he had behind staring deeply into your eyes.
Why a guy will stare deeply into your eyes
Each of the different reasons why a guy will stare deeply into your eyes will likely come with a number of clues in his body language.
Below, I will mention a number of reasons why a guy will stare deeply into your eyes and the body language signals to look for with them.
He’s attracted to you
If a guy stares into your eyes deeply and he doesn’t seem to do it with other women then there is a good chance that he does it because he is attracted to you.
If he is attracted to you then it would be likely that he would show it in his behavior and body language in a number of different ways.
These ways can include:
- Having more dilated pupils than normal when looking at you
- Touching you more than other people in the group
- Talking to you more than his other friends
- Standing close to you
- Often looking at you then quickly looking away or smiling when you notice
- Laughing then looking to see if you are as well
- Pointing his feet towards you even when he’s not directly in front of you
- Mirroring your body language
- Blinking more than usual when looking at you
- A lack of negative signals such as squinting, tightening the eyebrows or tightening the jaw
- Adjusting his hair, tie, shirt, watch, etc as soon as he notices you
- Getting anxious when you’re with other men
- Positioning himself to be near you when in a group setting
- Asking your friends about you
- Looking at your lips
- Showing signs of nervousness around you
- Getting defensive when other men are around
- Touching you back when you touch him
- Stepping closer when you do (or not stepping away when you step closer)
He’s being dominant
When a person is trying to show that they are of a higher position when he/she is with a group of people he/she will often stare at people for longer than normal.
The reason that he stares into your eyes deeply could actually be that he is showing dominant behavior.
If that is the case then the stare would likely be coupled with squinting, tight lips and a tight jaw.
It would also be likely that he would show a number of other dominating behaviors such as:
- Talking over people
- Talking loudly
- Interrupting people
- Telling people to do things
- Putting his hands and feet on things that aren’t his (including people)
- Taking up lots of space in the way that he stands and sits
- Standing and sitting in a way that makes him appear larger
- Speaking with a deeper voice
It is possible that he has a dominating personality and that he is also attracted to you. If that is the case then he would likely show a number of signs of attraction and well as domination in his body language.
He wants to be more than just friends
If he has been your friend for a while then the reason that he stared into your eyes deeply could be that he wants more than just a friendship.
If that is the reason that he stared into your eyes deeply then it would be likely that he would also show numerous other signs of attraction in his body language that you haven’t noticed.
It would be especially likely that he would get defensive when other men are around, anxious when you’re with other men and that he would make plans to do things when he knows you’ll be free.
The reason that he looked into your eyes deeply could be that he is actually mad at you.
When people are mad they will often stare and that could be what he was doing.
If he was mad then it would be likely that something would have recently happened that would make him mad.
He would also likely have shown it in other ways such as:
- Pointing his feet away from you
- Having constricted pupils
- Crossing his arms and legs
- Avoiding you
- Redness of the face
- Avoiding talking to you
- Giving you short answers
- Tight lips
- Tight jaw
He’s mirroring your own body language
When a guy wants to fit in with a certain group of people he will often sub-consciously mirror their body language and behavior.
If you tend to look deeply into his eyes and you both hang around with the same people then it could be the case that he was mirroring you.
If he was mirroring you then it would be likely that he would mirror you in a number of other ways as well.
These ways can include:
- Speaking at a similar pitch as you and at a similar speed
- Mirroring your facial gestures
- Mirroring your smile
- Walking in a similar way as you and at a similar speed
- Standing with a similar stance as you
- Sitting with a similar stance as you
Mirroring can also be a sign of attraction. If he was doing it due to attraction then it would be likely that he would show numerous other signs of attraction in his body language and behavior as mentioned already.
He’s developing feelings for you
When a pair of people are attracted to each other they will begin to do something known as “mutual gazing” which is where they look into each other’s eyes for longer.
It could be the case that he is staring into your eyes deeply because he is developing stronger feelings for you.
Consider your relationship with him
When trying to figure out why he might have stared into your eyes deeply it would be helpful to consider the type of relationship that you have with him.
If you have been dating him for quite some time then it would indicate that he is ready to take the relationship further.
If he has been your friend for a while then it would be more likely that he did it because he is actually attracted to you.
If he was a guy that you haven’t met before then it would be more likely that he either had a dominating personality or that he was attracted to you or both.
Consider his normal behavior
If you notice that he tends to hold eye contact with other women for longer than usual and his body language doesn’t change much around you it would be more likely that he is either flirtatious or dominant by nature.
Whereas if he only does it with you and his body language changes around you then it would be more likely that he is doing it for one of the reasons mentioned above. It would be necessary to consider the other body language signals that he shows to figure out which.
Think about groups of body language
There are often multiple reasons that a guy will show one particular body language signal. This is why it is important to draw conclusions from multiple body language signals that all point towards the same thing.
If you want to learn more about body language, a book I would recommend would be The Definitive Book of Body Language (on Amazon). It shows you how to interpret body language and understand people's true intentions.