If a guy said that you make him nervous, this post will show you likely reasons why and what would make them more likely.
So, what does it mean when a guy says that you make him nervous? Likely reasons why a guy will say that you make him nervous are that he is attracted to you, he has social anxiety or that your personality makes him nervous.
There are actually a number of possible reasons why a guy will say that you make him nervous but there are some things you can consider to help figure out the main reason.
What does it mean when a guy says you make me nervous?
Below are likely reasons and what would make them more likely.
He is attracted to you
The reason why he said that you make him nervous could be that he is actually attracted to you. This would be more likely if he only said it to you, he only gets nervous around you and if he interacts with his other friends differently to how he interacts with you.
If he is attracted to you, he will likely show signs of being attracted to you such as:
- Having dilated pupils when he’s around you
- Blinking more frequently when talking to you
- Standing close to you when talking to you
- Positioning himself to be near you when you’re in a group
- Laughing and looking to see if you are as well
- Sitting or standing with a more upright posture when he first notices you
- Maintaining prolonged eye contact with you
- Looking at you from a distance and then quickly looking away when you notice
- Adjusting his clothing or hair when he notices you
- Mirroring your body language
- Asking your friends about you
- Asking you more questions that his other friends
- Getting anxious when you’re talking to other men
- Pointing his feet at you even if he is to your side
- Making plans based on your schedule
- Finding excuses to touch you
- Looking at your lips
You intimidate him
It could also be the case that he said it because he finds you intimidating. This would be more likely if you are in a higher position than him in some way.
He might also show signs of being intimidated such as:
- Avoiding eye contact with you
- Laughing with the mouth
- Distancing himself from you
- Showing vulnerable areas like the palms or neck
- Speaking at a higher pitch
- Avoiding making large movements
- Looking at the exit
- Pointing the feet away from you
- Avoiding touching you
He has social anxiety
It could also be the case that he said it because he has some social anxiety. This would be more likely if he also gets nervous around other people as well. It would also be likely that he would be less anxious when he is only with you or with people that he knows well.
Your behavior makes him anxious
It might also be the case that he said it because your behavior makes him nervous. This would be more likely if he said it after you did or said something risky. In this case, he likely said it because he was saying that he is worried that you will hurt yourself or get in trouble.
Things to consider
Below are some things to consider to help figure out the main cause.
How he reacts to seeing you
It would help to consider the way that he reacts to seeing you.
If he reacts by uncrossing his arms and legs, making space for you, raising his eyebrows and smiling, holding eye contact with you, adjusting his clothing or hair and his pupils dilate then it would be much more likely that he said you make him nervous because he is attracted to you.
Whereas, if he reacts to seeing you by crossing his arms, squinting at you, pointing his feet away from you and tensing his jaw then it would be more likely that he said it for a negative reason.
How he interacts with other people
It would also help to compare the way he interacts with you with how he interacts with other people.
If he also seems to be nervous around other people and he behaves the same way with other people as he does with you, it would be more likely that he said it because he has some social anxiety.
Whereas, if he seems to behave differently with you, it would be more likely that you make him nervous yourself. It would help to consider how his body language changes around you to figure out why.
The context of how he said that you make him nervous
It would also help to consider the context of how he said it. If he said it when you were both alone together, it would be more likely that he said it because he is attracted to you. Whereas, if he said it right after you did something, it would be more likely that he was reacting to what you did.
If you want to learn more about body language, a book I would recommend would be The Definitive Book of Body Language (on Amazon). It shows you how to interpret body language and understand people's true intentions.